Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Every Day Matters #7 - Draw a Bottle from the Kitchen

EDM 7 - Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Pen and Ink by Ana Tirolese ©2012
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pen and Ink
We eat low fat meals in our home. However, when I do use oil, I use extra virgin olive oil. I find that olive oil adds a nice Mediterranean flavour to foods.

Unfortunately, this particular brand, Mastro, was convicted in 2010 of fraud. The were claiming that their oil was 100% olive oil when they were mixing it with 50% sunflower oil.  They were fined and the oil was recalled. I am trusting that they have learned their lesson and the the oil is now pure.

I'll admit to purchasing the oil that is on sale, however, I do understand that pure olive oil does cost a bit more, and the better grades cost the most. I use so little oil in my cooking that I just get the least expensive for regular cooking but keep a smaller bottle of the higher grade for salads or for dips.


No comments:

Post a Comment